expat-header_zpsqmr5engx

Thursday, May 22, 2014

When Packing Becomes A Reality.


It's 1:30 in the morning as I sit at my computer to type this post. I've been cleaning the house while my family sleeps. It's easier to clean when they are asleep. At least when the kids are asleep. I have started packing again. There are days when I'm on a roll and days when I just need to take that break. Lunch with the girls is always a wonderful diversion from packing. 

There's something so final as I remove pictures from the wall. Sometimes I'm just not ready to take them down. It signifies that final step of really moving on to me. 

I started packing a suitcase to take with us to Hong Kong. Stuffing my miniature salt and pepper shakers and butter dish from Anthropologie down into my Uggs to keep the dishes from breaking and to conserve space in my suitcase. I put my set of chalk board spice jars back on the counter, because it just looked too empty when I removed them. I wasn't ready yet. 

As I was packing each item into my suitcase, I wondered what it would be like when I open the suitcase in Hong Kong. To me, seeing familiar items again and putting them out in my new kitchen will be like seeing familiar faces again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips