expat-header_zpsqmr5engx

Monday, August 3, 2015

Riding Elephants In Thailand.


Since 1998, when I was attending a mission conference at the Bible school I was going to in the Adirondack mountains of New York, I have always wanted to ride an elephant in Thailand. One of the last days we were in Chiayaphum, our host took us to make that dream a reality. I made sure I was wearing my Thai pants that had elephants on them for the experience! We drove two hours towards Bangkok, where our hosts had taken other volunteers to ride elephants and were familiar with the company.


The ride lasted for twenty-five minutes and was a big round loop through the jungle, a river bed, and back to the resort. We weren't able to ride together as a complete family, so my son rode with our host family. As soon as we got through the water our guide and driver of the elephant jumped off and allowed us to sit on top of the elephant. My daughter did great, surprising me with how balanced she was up there! There were a few moments that I feared falling off myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips