expat-header_zpsqmr5engx

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Street Markets Of Sham Shui Po.


Hong Kong seems to be full of markets. Specific borough's have a street market unique unto its own. While my family was at school, I ventured off to discover the market at Sham Shui Po on my own. Streets and streets full of stalls selling clothing. There was plenty of clothing for men, women, and children.

Then I hit the flea market. It was not unlike the flea markets I've been to in the United States. I saw plenty of used electronic equipment as well as home decor items, but since we're living in such a small space, I can only purchase items I feel are necessities.

I found the street with a stall selling books. The next street is known as the toy street in Sham Shui Po, and an excellent source for party favors. The parent and party planner in me was excited to discover what it had to offer, but I was a little disappointed when I discovered it mainly offered cheap plastic toys. I was not able to find what I needed for my daughter's upcoming Hello Kitty themed birthday party, so I ended up walking away empty handed.


Finally I discovered the fabric and the pom-pom trim that I am a huge fan of. It brought back fond memories of my craft room and my extensive supply of materials that I either sold in a yard sale or gave away before we moved out here. I'll admit, I got a little nostalgic.

I am so glad I went to this market on a week day without my family. We came back on a weekend and the crowd had tripled in size which made it that much harder to find what I was looking for. I will definitely be back on my own... perhaps today I'll venture back there!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips