expat-header_zpsqmr5engx

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Steamed Buns.


I'll be the first to admit that it's pretty pathetic when our family will try something just because it reminds us of something we saw in a movie. Although she's referring to a book instead of a movie, in the words of Kathleen Kelly as she's writing to NY152, 

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void."


Well dear void, my family and I were walking the streets of Jordan and Yau Ma Tei when we walked past a corner shop selling steamed buns that reminded my husband of the movie Shaolin Soccer. I've mentioned in a previous post that this is a favorite movie in our family, and so we had to stop and sample the steamed buns that the movie character Mui makes. 

The kids loved them. We're pretty convinced they loved them simply because of the reference to the movie. My husband and I found them to be pretty bland. We did not have sauce to dip them into and they reminded us of siopao that we eat in the Philippines, without the meat filling in the middle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips