expat-header_zpsqmr5engx

Friday, August 1, 2014

A Lot Of Firsts.


We're experiencing a lot of firsts in this new country. This country that we've never been to before but reminds us of Manila and yet is so different. I walk around the streets and I can hear conversations in Tagalog. I love it.

I've done my first grocery store visit and purchased a jar of crunchy peanut butter, a large jug of water, and a loaf of sliced bread for us. Only the loaf of bread consisted of just eight slices. No full loaves like we're accustomed to in the United States to be found here. I did manage to find a Starbucks this afternoon, after asking the concierge if there was a coffee shop near the hotel. My husband and I are trying to stave off jet lag. We've been awake since 2:00 and 4:00 this morning. After walking two blocks and stopping to ask someone who was Caucasian where the Starbucks was, I climbed up a flight of stairs and was surprised by how hidden such a popular coffee chain was from the main road.

We've had our first MTR ride {which is the train system here} and are trying to become familiar with how the subway system works on the islands. The kid's have finally had their first double-decker bus ride, which has been a goal of theirs since they first saw them on our ride into the city from the airport.

2 comments:

  1. Is one loaf of bread really $30.00? Surely not....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hong Kong dollars which equal out to be $4.00 USD.

      Delete

Blogging tips